Vegans win at the 10th Annual Grilled Cheese Invitational
May 3, 2012
It's a pretty exciting time when a vegan grilled cheese sandwich wins an award at a contest that features mostly real dairy cheese! This is the first year, since the Grilled Cheese Invitational started 10 years ago, that a vegan entry has won. And get this: not one, but TWO different vegan entries using Daiya shreds were awarded trophies.
We would like to congratulate Gwendolyn Mathers and Jenny Harrison on their winning entries! They both participated in the 10th Annual Grilled Cheese Invitational, which took place on Saturday, April 28th at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA. For a complete list of winning entries, click here.
Jenny won 1st place in the 2012 Amateur Honey Pot (dessert) category with her Friggin' Figgin' Vegan Grilled Cheese sandwich. Her sandwich, which was made with Daiya Mozzarella Shreds, beat 65+ other real-cheese entries!
Gwendolyn won 3rd place in the 2012 Professional Honey Pot (dessert) category with her Aurora Borealis sandwich. The judges didn't even know her sandwich was vegan until they announced the winners!
We are so excited to try their recipes and thought you would be too so here they are:
By Gwendolyn Mathers (Check out the COK blog for more information)
- 2 slices thick rustic sourdough bread
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Earth Balance or other vegan butter
- 3 tbsp Daiya Mozzarella Shreds
- 3 tbsp Tofutti Cream Cheese
- 1/2 peach, peeled and soaked in a combo of 50/50 brandy and simple syrup
- 1 pound of berries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Mash berries with sugar and juice and let set for at least an hour.
- Pour berry mixture into a small pot, place over low heat, and lightly simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until liquid has reduced by almost half.
- Strain out large bits and seeds (optional) and refrigerate in a glass jar (keeps for about a week).
- Melt one tbsp of Earth Balance and maple syrup in a nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Drop one side of the bread into mixture and remove. Then add another tbsp of the Earth Balance and syrup in the pan and place the dry side of the bread into the mixture.
- Leave the bread on the heat and grill until the sugar has caramelized and is golden brown.
- Flip the bread and immediately add the Daiya cheese on ONE slice of the hot side of the open bread and smear the cream cheese on the other slice of hot bread.
- Slice the peach and stick onto the cream cheese.
- Stick the two open sides of bread together and continue to grill, flipping once, until both sides are crispy and middle is hot.
- Cut in half and drizzle with Berry Reduction.
Friggin' Figgin' Vegan Grilled Cheese
By Jenny Harrison
- 4 tbsp fig butter (or jam)
- 2 dried figs, chopped
- 4 slices of olive bread
- vegan margarine
- 2 large handfuls of Daiya Mozzarella shreds
- Powdered sugar
- Orange reduction glaze
-1 can frozen orange juice concentrate (12 oz.)
-2 tbsp. white sugar
-7 tbsp. powdered sugar