The Friggin' Figgin' Vegan Grilled Cheese Fan favorite
Submitted May 8, 2012 by Jenny Harrison
This grilled cheese was the first place winner in the "Honeypot" category in the 2012 Grilled Cheese Invitational in Pasadena, CA. It beat out 65+ dairy cheese entries and also won a judges choice award.
- Vegan (476)
1. In a small bowl, combine the fig butter and the chopped figs, then set aside.
2. On the stove top, heat a medium sized pan over medium-high heat. Take 2 pieces of olive bread and butter both sides. On the other 2 pieces, butter one side, then spread the fig butter on the other.
3. Place the butter only pieces of bread in the pan. Once the bottoms have lightly browned (about 2 minutes), flip them over to start browning the alternate side, and immediately place a large handful of cheese on each piece.
4. Once the bottoms of the cheese-topped pieces are browned (about another 2 minutes), place the pieces of bread with the fig butter on top of the cheese, so that the fig butter side is face down on top of the cheese. Carefully flip both sandwiches, and grill until the sandwich is nicely browned on both sides (again, about another 2 minutes).
5. Transfer your grilled cheeses to serving plates, and dust each lightly with some powdered sugar, and lightly drizzle with the orange reduction glaze.
Orange Reduction Glaze
(makes about 1 cup)
1 Can frozen orange juice concentrate (12 oz.)
2 Tablespoons White sugar
7 Tablespoons Powdered sugar
1. Over high heat, in a medium sized pot, bring the orange juice concentrate and both sugars to a boil, stirring occasionally.
2. Once the sauce begins to boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 15 minutes, until it becomes light amber in color. Remove from heat and let cool.