Submitted August 2, 2012 by Barefoot Essence
The healthy version of a bar-food classic. These babies are free of dairy, wheat, meat and soy.
They are spicy, crunchy, creamy, melt-in-your mouth peppery goodness.
- Vegan (476)
- Dairy Free (including lactose and casein) (438)
- Soy Free (380)
- Gluten Free (331)
- Peanut Free (408)
- Health Conscious (91)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F
2. Place halved jalapeño peppers open side up on a stoneware baking sheet or a metal sheet lined with parchment paper
3. For the creamy filling; in a food processor, process nut butter or soaked nuts, lemon or lime juice, ½ tsp. sea salt, 2 tbsp. cilantro and nutritional yeast until smooth then distribute among peppers
4. For the crunchy topping; in a food processor, pulse sunflower seeds, 1 tbsp. cilantro, chili powder, cumin, hot sauce and ¼ tsp. sea salt several times until the mixture is well integrated but still chunky, then spoon on top of the creamy topping
5. Top each pepper with Daiya shreds
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes until melted.